Invest in Energy Efficiency and Boost Your Texas Home Value
Now that it’s cooler, it’s a good time to invest in energy efficiency for your home that’s likely to improve your home’s value. According to the U.S. EPA, each dollar you put into energy improvements increases your home’s value by $20. That’s a remarkable return on investment, hard to achieve with any other home improvement that gives you a direct benefit as well. These recommendations can guide you through the process:
- Have an energy audit. Professional energy auditors and HVAC contractors can help with this project by conducting a blower door test, combined with thermal imaging to pinpoint the problem areas.
- If a professional audit isn’t possible, you can invest in energy efficiency by doing an audit yourself. Look carefully around the window and exterior door frames. The attic can be a source of air leaks as well, especially if your home has recessed lights that protrude into the attic. You can find the air leaks by:
- Closing all the windows and exterior doors, opening interior doors and turning on the exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Walking through each room in your home with a lighted candle or burning incense stick and noting where the flame or smoke wavers, which indicates air leaks.
- Measuring the amount of insulation in the attic. The Department of Energy recommends at least 10 inches for the best thermal protection. As you inspect the attic, look for light around the vent pipes and flues leaving the attic, and note their locations.
- Once you’ve found the leaks and insulation problems, seal with caulk, weatherstripping or expanding foam. In our area, radiant barrier insulation in the attic will block heat transfer.
- Replace aging appliances with those that carry the Energy Star or Most Efficient label. If your heating and cooling bills are still high after improving insulation levels and sealing air leaks, consider replacing the HVAC system with high efficiency equipment. Your HVAC contractor can evaluate the condition of your existing system and help you make an educated decision.
For assistance as you invest in energy efficiency in the Longview area, contact the experts at JD’s A/C today.