Allergies: How To Alleviate Them In Your Home
Many homeowners are concerned with weatherstripping, insulation and other ways to save energy during the winter. For those with allergies, though, the drier air and increased time indoors make the alleviation of allergies the most urgent home-comfort priority. Here are some helpful tips for dealing with your wintertime allergies:
Kick Allergens Out
Allergens come in a variety of forms and can be carried by dust particles, mold spores, pet dander and many other substances. To prevent allergens from building up in your home:
- Use furniture, window treatments and decor that is easily cleaned.
- Avoid clutter; remove knickknacks and books, or store them in sealed bins.
- Remove carpeting in favor of hardwood floors and washable rugs.
- Keep food in sealed containers, and empty the trash often.
Clean, Clean, Clean
Once you have established an allergen-unfriendly home, keep dust to a minimum through regular cleaning. In particular:
- Wipe surfaces with a damp cloth.
- Wash dishes, sinks, fridges and counters regularly.
- For severe allergies, wash all walls, floors and baseboards.
- Vacuum weekly with a cleaner that uses a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter.
If you are allergic to pets, keep them out of the bedroom, where we spend most of our time. Make your bedroom a haven by encasing pillows, mattresses and box springs in dust-mite-proof covers, and wash bedding at least once weekly. In addition, consider using a room air purifier with a HEPA filter.
For filtering air throughout your home, use small-particle or HEPA filters, and replace system air filters frequently. Consider installing an exhaust fan in the kitchen to remove cooking fumes and moisture, if one is not present.
Pets and Plants
Around a third of people with allergies react adversely to cats and dogs. If finding a new home is not possible, wash your hands after touching your pet, and bathe it regularly. For plants, cover the soil with aquarium gravel to contain any mold growth.
For more advice from our expert HVAC technicians on your home comfort needs, please contact us at JD’s A/C today. We have been serving homeowners in the Longview area for more than 30 years, and look forward to helping you today.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com