Energy Saving Tips You Can Accomplish Today
As a homeowner, you may feel like you’re fighting an uphill battle when it comes to saving energy in your Gladwater home. This is why we’ve compiled some highly effective energy savings tips:
- Upgrade Light Bulbs – Traditional light bulbs are on the way out because they use too much energy compared to available alternatives. Newer types of bulbs including CFLs (compact fluorescents) and LEDs use only a fraction of energy when compared to their discredited brethren. Plus, these modern bulbs come in a variety of sizes and styles for nearly every need.
- Check Water Heater Temperature – If your water heater is on its high setting, you’re wasting energy. Dial it back to 120 degrees and not only will you lower its energy usage, you might just avoid scalding yourself from time to time.
- Schedule an HVAC Tune-Up – Your HVAC system, whether it’s an air conditioner, furnace or heat pump, is built to last for 12-20 years. For the best results, you should schedule a yearly tune-up with a trusted HVAC professional. If you haven’t done this already, now’s the time. Keep in mind, however, that if your system is more than 10 years old, it might be time to consider replacement with a more energy-efficiency model backed by Energy Star.
- Price Out Energy Star Appliances– As appliances age, they begin using more energy. This can especially be a problem with your refrigerator, which is notorious for using a lot of energy. It might be time to replace these appliances with newer, more energy-efficient models.
- Make Your Bed (Waterbed) – If you own one of these jiggly giants, make the bed every day. This will insulate the water bed, saving you up to one-third of its energy usage.
For more expert advice on energy savings tips, or if you have other questions related to home comfort, please contact the professionals at JD’s A/C. We’ve been serving the needs of Longview and the surrounding area for over 30 years.